Here’s a sensory toy you can make for your baby to play during tummy time, I call it the Sensorial Rice Bag. It is cheap and very good for your baby’s development. Save the toy money for other stuff 🙂
The places you can find these items are in orange.
Prepare these tools and ingredients.
- 1 cup of white rice (or 250ml)
- Food coloring
- 1/2 tsp vinegar (or 2.5ml)
- 2 freezer/zipper bag
- 1 bright color cloth tape (bright colors helps attract your baby)
- 1 pair of scissors
- Measuring tools
Making The Rice
1. Prepare 1 cup (or 250ml) of white rice.
2. Pour it into the zipper bag and add in 1/2 tsp (or 2.5ml) of vinegar.
3. Add 2-3 drops of food coloring, seal the bag and mix until the color is evenly spread out. You can add more to adjust the tone to your liking.
4. Open the zipper bag and leave it overnight. This step is optional, but doing it will remove the vinegar smell.
Making the Sensorial Bag
1. Pour the rice into a new zipper bag, you want to do this because your first bag has smudges from the mixing. If your first bag is clear, skip this step.
2. Press the air out of the bag. You can use the water displacement method shown here. Don’t skip this step, this will prevent the bag from bursting when your baby applies pressure on it.
3. Seal the zipper bag with the cloth tape. Notice the red line, that’s where the mouth is. We want to make sure the bag cannot be opened again.
4. Seal off all 4 sides of the zipper bag with the cloth tape, front and back, and the final step is to cut the ages until they are round or not sharp, making sure it is safe for play.
This sensory toy is excellent for tummy time or regular play. Just give it to your baby and see them enjoy their time. The toy stimulates their touch, visual and hearing senses.
You can shake the sensorial bag to create sound, move the bag as you shake it and see them turn their heads towards it. You can create bags of other colors or mix them up, see the examples below.
Congratulations! Now you know how to make your own sensory toy, and your baby can learn and play at the same time! Submit a comment if you have other play methods so we can all learn 🙂